We’re going to go over some of the most popular Rimworld Biotech mods that are guaranteed to make your gameplay more enjoyable, and sometimes even easier, depending on the mod. Read on!
- Vanilla Expanded series – more specifically the Vanilla Races Expanded mod – a brand new mod series that enhances Biotech features, storytelling and the world-building of RimWorld. This mod adds a whole new race called Saurids – xenohumans with lizard character features.
- Vanilla Outposts Expanded is a mod that enables players to form caravans and travel around the map, setting up different sorts of outposts, towns and encampments. Every one of these locations grants bonuses varying on the types of pawns as well as the skills thereof.
- The Better Atomizer – a simple but very useful mod that will make your Atomizer machine run smoother. As a tradeoff, it costs twice as much to build and uses 3 times the power, but I believe that’s still worth it, considering it runs 10 times as fast and holds 5 times the waste packs.
- Vibro Weapons – this mod adds all sorts of Star Wars-inspired weapons such as the vibro sword, spear, double-edged vibro sword, etc. In order to unlock them, you’ve to do machining (Prototype) and fabrication research. All of the weapons are, of course, carefully balanced to avoid any of them being overpowered, while still leaving some room for them to be fun!
- Auto-Extract Genes is a mod that adds a checkbox on the health tab of your colonists, slaves and prisoners that, when enabled, automatically visits the gene extractor when they have regrown genes.
- Faction: V.O.I.D. is NOT for the faint of heart. You can’t say we didn’t warn you.
Jokes aside, this really is a hardcore mod and it isn’t recommended for those without either extensive game knowledge, or a list of super mods. A whole faction called the Void is introduced with this mod and it spawns either progressively developing mobs or vicious hardcore mobs right off the bat, depending on your settings. Use this if you’re looking for a challenge!
- As you can see here it gets pretty wild pretty fast, so take care!
- Junior Marine’s Armory allows you to craft and wear brand new powerful armor. There are 3 different sets of armor, each providing their own buffs and power ups.
The Scutarius Armor Set provides you with increased carrying capacity, global learning factor, melee dodge chance, with the stats being roughly the same as the Cataphract gear.
The Grasshopper Armor stats are generally similar to that of Locust/Marine gear. It greatly increases your melee dodge chance, global learning factor and carrying capacity. It also has a built-in jump pack, storing 3 charges with increased range.
- Limitless Deathrest – as the name suggests, this mod completely removes the annoying cap from the Deathrest Accelerator, Glucosoid Pump and the Psychofluid Pump. All this combined will let you achieve insane movement speed – get ready to have loads of fun and set some records!
- Laser Turrets (by Grandyy) is yet another relatively straight-forward mod. Using this mod, you’ll be able to add up to 3 laser turrets (1×1) to your game. The laser effects that this mod uses are based on Biotech, so you’re going to have to have it purchased (and loaded, of course).
- HALO: UNSC Faction – This mod adds factions, apparel, weapons and equipment from the Halo universe, specifically those used by the United Nations Space Command, who are actually a player-neutral faction introduced by the mod. On the other hand there’s The Insurrectionist faction, a group of rebels that are similar to pirates, except they’ve a chance to spawn with UNSC equipment. This faction is permanently hostile to the player – be careful when approaching!
Hogwarts Legacy: How Good Is The Character Creation?
Celebrity is as celebrity does.
Hogwarts Legacy is just around the corner, and if you’re one of those people who always expected an owl to crash into your bedroom to give you a letter of invitation to the school of Witchcraft and Wizardry then congratulations, you’re still a child at heart. One of the many things that muggle-borns are keeping a close eye on is the character creation as this always has been a huge selling point for gamers who wish to see themselves in the game their playing. No argument needed there as it simply adds to the immersion. We’ll see just how good the character creation is by giving it a good wangle!
How Good Is The Character Creation In Hogwarts Legacy?
As the game is still said to be a “work in progress” not everything is set in stone just yet. There’s plenty of options to go through however so let’s see if you can either look like a Korean pop idol of some sort or a child that looks like a melting candle.
So the first thing you will notice once you go to the character creation screen is the plethora of Presets offered to you. This is a good start for players who just want to dive right in and explore the second-floor girls’ lavatory.
Once you have chosen your base look you will be taken to the Facewear section where you can choose your facial structure from a set of fifteen portraits. Some players may prefer having sliders when it comes to specific parts of their custom character’s face as they really have every intention to see a carbon copy of themselves in-game.
When you’re satisfied with the shape that you chose you can also go and specify a skin color and some glasses for your character. Hogwarts is known to have a rather diverse community of students so go be yourself and choose which suits you the best!
Moving on to Hairstyles you have two customization choices, your hair color, and the actual style of well, your hair! There can only be so many options for hair in any game as it’s quite difficult to build this from scratch compared to sculpting the bridge of your nose or adjusting the height of your temple.
Hair can be quite a delicate part of customization, especially when not all options are available to you. Nevertheless, you still have enough choices here to either look like Anton Chigur or The Daywalker. Props to you if you got any of that!
Next is the Complexion tab, you have the option to give yourself a slight blush if or some freckles and moles if you have any. We weren’t kidding earlier either when we said that you can look like you aged prematurely. That’s what the scars and markings are for! At the end of the day it’s all about getting your features down to a T!
On the following tab we have Eyebrows. Most options that we went through gave us the impression that everyone back in the 19th century had time to shave, and that’s a good thing! You can tell a lot from a person’s eyebrows after all. Just don’t get caught looking!
After choosing the shape that fits your fancy you can go and apply any color to it, most likely you will choose the same color you chose for your hair but hey, it’s your choice that matters here so go crazy! The same goes for your eyes as well.
For the final touch, you have four more options. You have two choices for your character’s voice which should’ve had more in our opinion. You can also change the pitch of that voice to resemble yours. Lastly you have your difficulty selection which is pretty straightforward, you also have your character name and which dormitory you want to be sent to.
The character creation in our opinion is good enough where it stands. It’s not great but it’s definitely not bad either. Having the option to choose a preset or create your own character completely from scratch (sliders and all) is a recent concept that players have been searching for a lot lately and it’s much appreciated that Avalanche Software gave that to us.
While others are happy with the choices they’ve been given, we can still see some possible complaints that will go after the Facewear section as limiting your features to only fifteen options is a very daring move given that there’s a chance that a player out there might not get the look they’re after.
It all just goes back to the sliders since this gives the player a more precise selection when it comes to making adjustments to their looks, plus there weren’t too many options for body-type either. It’s not a long list of shortcomings but you will have to take these into consideration if you’re the kind of gamer who spends more than an hour in the customization screen. We’re still looking forward to the game however so don’t let any of that bring you down. Thank you, and see you in the world of magic!